Sunday 2 November 2008

Recipe: Sausage, Bean and Apple Casserole

I really love cooking! During my all-too-short Ryton stint I enjoyed finding/inventing recipes for the weird vegetables on the 'staff table'. During teacher training I unwound after a day at school by cooking dinner. So I've decided to share the occasional recipe which I feel has gone particularly well. These will be 'all my own work' unless I say otherwise.

This is a quick 'storecupboard' recipe. It fed two moderate eaters for two meals.


1 onion
1 tin chopped tomatoes
1 large cooking apple (e.g., Bramley)
1 pack veggie sausages - I like Cauldron ones more than Linda Mccartneys. (Piggy sausages would do just as well - about 1/2 pound)
1 tin Haricot beans
Dried or fresh thyme
Olive oil

Chop and gently fry the onion for a few minutes till transparent, and at the same time grill the sausages as per the packet instructions. Pop a few pinches of thyme in for a minute - apparently the hot oil helps to release the essential oils in the leaves. Add the tomatoes. Peel and chop the apple into chunks and put in with the onion and tomato. Cut the sausages into thick slices and add too. Cook for 5 or 10 minutes, and add the drained beans a few minutes before serving.

No comments: