Sunday 29 August 2010

Somerset Cycle Tour 1

At last some photos from my cycle trip in July! I had a super time visiting friends and relations (you know who you are - thanks for everything!) and I also had time to look at flowers, butterflies and the wonderful views.


The bike (Edinburgh Bicycle Co-operative Revolution Trailfinder) on the train to Birmingham. One of the huge varieties of cycle accomodation I encountered this summer... though I've a suspicion that this may actually be designed for wheelchairs.

The view from the road above Wookey Hole, where there is a lovely campsite.


This road takes you up onto the Mendips, where I had a great time identifying flowers and galls, and met this character, a Marbled White:


Later on, in Ebbor Gorge, I was excited to see two Silver-washed Fritillaries dancing about above the brambles. This is one of them.


I also came across this!


More animals which aren't what they seem at RSPB Westhay on the Somerset Levels - it's an otter carved out of a log.


Over on the Blackdown Hills (and actually in Devon) is Culmstock Beacon, with great views over to Exmoor across the Vale of Taunton Dean.


I came across this odd creature - it's a female Scorpion Fly.


And this is just one of many Gatekeeper butterflies which were fluttering about the gorse and hedgerows.


Similar but definitely different, a Speckled Wood.


Back on the Mendips, this is the viw from Crook Peak.


This was a great place for wildlife, with limestone flora including some real rarities (which I was unlikely to find on a short walk onto one of the most well-used areas). However it was nice to get this shot of a Common Blue.


And this of a Common Hawker dragonfly. Coming down the hill later, I saw a group of 10 or so dragonflies, all hawking together. What a wonderful sight.


That was just a few of the sights which made this such an interesting trip. Next post will have some photos of churches and the wildlife they harbour!

No comments: