Sunday 31 May 2009

Menage a trois


I have three bicycles. The Raleigh Touriste is an old friend of nearly 20 years, the Hawk Trakatak a secondhand rather lumpen but useful introduction to mountain bikes, and the Revolution Trailfinder the newbie. I can't ride them all at once. When I got the new one I meant to find a new home for the Trakatak, but I keep finding it useful to have a scruffy bike to ride into town (Nottingham being a den of iniquity as everyone knows...)

I've been cycling more than ever over the last month or so: it's a great way of taking myself and a modicum of gardening equipment to the places where I teach gardening. I went out for a 'proper' ride today for the first time this year, and did about 20 miles up to Blidworth Bottoms (being Nottinghamshire this is pronounced 'Bliduth'). I went on the tourer, and it's really noticeable that it converts my inputs of energy into forward motion far more effectively than the mountain bikes. Try to cycle on the sandy bridlepaths around there, though, and it's all over the place. Horses for courses I guess.

No comments: